PRESS FITS FOR WHEELSETS UNDERLYING HIGHEST SERVICE LOADS
Assurance of the integrity of the press fit of wheels, gears and brake discs in wheelset assembly is vital. Stress analysis of such fits is possible; details of mounting all such elements are available. The interference and coefficient of adhesion are important in all press fits. Extreme conditions such as brake shoe heating are the principal threat to successful force fits. A conical wheelseat/hub assembled by hydraulics is practicable for locomotive driving axles.
- Supported in cooperation with the Association of American Railroads, Federal Railroad Administration and Railway Wheel Association. Sixth International Wheelset Congress, October 22-26, 1978, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
American Iron and Steel Institute230 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL United States 60601
- Wiedemann, S
- Publication Date: 1978-10
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 15 p.
- TRT Terms: Axles; Railroad cars; Reliability; Vehicle design; Wheels; Wheelsets (Railroads)
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle design; Wheel mounting techniques; Wheel presses
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00184177
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Iron and Steel Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: Volume 2 Tech Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1978 12:00AM