RAILROAD FREIGHT CAR ROLLER BEARING LUBRICATION EXPERIENCE
Norfolk and western has experimented with relubrication of freight-car roller bearings at intervals up to ten years. Results show that the FRA requirement for lubrication at four-year intervals not only requires undue maintenance attention but also increases bearing temperature and makes seal damage more likely. The federal requirement is justified by neither economics nor safety.
- Supported in cooperation with the Association of American Railroads, Federal Railroad Administration and Railway Wheel Association. Sixth International Wheelset Congress, October 22-26, 1978, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
American Iron and Steel Institute230 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL United States 60601
- Miller, H D
- Publication Date: 1978-10
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: 15 p.
- TRT Terms: Grease; Journal bearings; Lubrication; Preventive maintenance; Regulations; Roller bearings; Tests
- Identifier Terms: Norfolk and Western Railway Company; U.S. Federal Railroad Administration
- Old TRIS Terms: Government regulations
- Subject Areas: Law; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00184175
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Iron and Steel Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: Volume 2 Tech Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1978 12:00AM