A REVIEW OF ELASTO-PLASTIC STRESS ANALYSIS OF RAILCAR WHEELS
Analysis of presssure distribution when a loaded wheel rolls on a straight track involves a complex mixed boundary value problem. A large number of three-dimension finite element models are considered for elasto-plastic appraisal of the wheel. Separate investigations should be made for mechanical and thermal loads and the load-time history should be approximated by a small number of artificially linearized segments. A method is suggested for validation of the computer program.
- Supported in cooperation with the Association of American Railroads, Federal Railroad Administration and Railway Wheel Association. Sixth International Wheelset Congress, October 22-26, 1978, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
American Iron and Steel Institute230 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL United States 60601
- Garg, V K
- Publication Date: 1978-10
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Car wheels (Railroads); Computer programs; Dynamic tests; Dynamics; Finite element method; Force; Rail (Railroads); Stresses; Thermal stresses; Train track dynamics; Validation; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Wheel stresses; Wheel thermal stresses
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00184174
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Iron and Steel Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: Volume 2 Tech Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1978 12:00AM