SOUND EMISSION OF RAILWAY WHEELS AND TESTS ON NOISE-DAMPED WHEELS FOR LONG-DISTANCE AND LOCAL RAIL TRAFFIC
Because noise emission of wheels is the major factor in total noise environment of railways, resonance absorbers were developed for application inboard of the wheel rim. Tests have shown rolling noise of mainline trains is considerably reduced and wheel screech of transit vehicles is eliminated. The absorbers are simple, easily installed and rugged.
- Supported in cooperation with the Association of American Railroads, Federal Railroad Administration and Railway Wheel Association. Sixth International Wheelset Congress, October 22-26, 1978, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
American Iron and Steel Institute230 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL USA 60601
- Racquet, E
- Tacke, G
- Publication Date: 1978-10
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Car wheels (Railroads); Damping (Physics); Environmental impacts; High speed rail; Instrumentation; Noise; Noise control; Railroads; Rapid transit cars
- Old TRIS Terms: Noise attenuation; Wheel screech noise
- Subject Areas: Environment; Public Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00184170
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Iron and Steel Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: Volume 2 Tech Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1981 12:00AM