PROBLEMS OF INTERACTION OF VEHICLES AND TRACK--MEASUREMENTS MADE WITH RAIL VEHICLES DURING 1961 TO ASSESS THE CLEARANCE GAUGE ALLOWING FOR ROLLING MOVEMENTS OF THE VEHICLES
The purpose of these measurements was to shed light onto the behavior of the bogies, their position on the track, and to assess the lateral and rolling motions of the moving vehicles, caused by the forward traveling speed, the curve radii, and superelevation in curved track. The values so determined were to be taken as a basis for the setting up of a kinematic vehicle gauge. One of the most important results of the experiments is the linear dependence which was confirmed, for all vehicle types, between the angles of rolling, or between the transverse displacement of the sprung masses and the excess transverse accelerations respectively. This seems to indicate that the magnitude of the quasi-static angles of rolling can be precalculated, provided that the mathematical layout of the problem is sufficiently accurate. This would, however, entail complex conditions, because it would be necessary for all force effects of the connecting members between the individual masses to be incorporated in the process, with reasonable accuracy.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1962-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 42 p.
- TRT Terms: Car clearances (Railroads); Curved track; Dynamics; Motor vehicle bodies; Rail (Railroads); Railroad cars; Railroad tracks; Rocking; Structural design; Superelevation; Technology; Train track dynamics; Trucks; Vehicle dynamics; Wheels; Wheelsets (Railroads)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral dynamics; Track geometry
- Geographic Terms: Netherlands
- Old TRIS Terms: Car body; Car rocking; Clearances; Question c9
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00040419
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: C9/RP 5/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM