RESEARCH ON OPTIMIZATION OF S.N.C.F. AXLES. PART II
Research by SNCF to enhance the reliability of axles has continued. This reports the results of investigations into mechanical surface treatment, particularly prestressing by shot peening. Fatigue strength can be increased 20 percent by shot peening, but this effect may be negated by corrosion.
- Supported in cooperation with the Association of American Railroads, Federal Railroad Administration and Railway Wheel Association. Sixth International Wheelset Congress, October 22-26, 1978, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
American Iron and Steel Institute230 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL USA 60601
- Revillon, A
- Publication Date: 1978-10
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 11 p.
- TRT Terms: Axles; Fatigue (Mechanics); Fatigue strength; Prestressing
- Identifier Terms: Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle fatigue
- Subject Areas: Construction; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00184152
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Iron and Steel Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: Volume 1 Tech Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 12 1978 12:00AM