WHEEL SETS FOR SNCF HIGH-SPEED TRAIN SETS
The development of the wheelset for the TGV trainsets of French National Railways is described. The axle is normalized carbon steel designed in accordance with SNCF and UIC Committee ORE B136 specifications with provision for two discs. Wheels are forged carbon steel with fully machined, heat treated rims and centers designed to counter speed-related dynamic stresses at speeds to 270 kph. It is concluded that the TGV wheelset barely differs from other SNCF wheelsets with two areas still under investigation: Use of mechanical or thermal surface treatments and of alloy steels in axles and use of dispersoid steel in wheels to minimize thermal problems while maintaining current hardness.
- Supported in cooperation with the Association of American Railroads, Federal Railroad Administration and Railway Wheel Association. Sixth International Wheelset Congress, October 22-26, 1978, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
American Iron and Steel Institute230 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL United States 60601
- Revillon, A
- Publication Date: 1978-10
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 11 p.
- TRT Terms: Axles; High speed rail; Metal heating; Metallurgy; Multiple unit trains; Railroad cars; Vehicle design; Wheels; Wheelsets (Railroads)
- Identifier Terms: Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais
- Uncontrolled Terms: Heat treatment
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle design; Question b136; Wheel design
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00184148
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Iron and Steel Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: Volume 1 Tech Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 12 1978 12:00AM