Mechanized/Automated Parking: Part 1 - A History

This article gives a detailed history of mechanized and automated parking, beginning with the first “mechanized garage” built in Paris in 1905 and continuing through the 1970s when a West Virginia hospital erected a ferris-wheel type system. Photos accompany the article showing the Paris Garage Rue de Ponthieu, the Westinghouse Parking Machine from 1929 in Chicago, the Nash Motor Towers, the Park-A-Loft in Parkersburg, West Virginia, an early New York City automated facility still in use, and the Logan, West Virginia Hospital Ferris wheel. The earliest parking machines gave way in the 1920s and 1930s first to fully mechanized garages, and later to automated systems that did not require someone in the drivers’ seat. The article is an overview of a chapter from a book titled “Form Follows Parking.”

Language

  • English

Media Info

  • Media Type: Print
  • Features: Figures; Photos;
  • Pagination: pp 38-44
  • Serial:
    • Parking
    • Volume: 44
    • Issue Number: 8
    • Publisher: National Parking Association
    • ISSN: 0031-2193

Subject/Index Terms

  • TRT Terms: Automation; History; Parking garages
  • Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways; History; Terminals and Facilities; I20: Design and Planning of Transport Infrastructure;

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 01010968
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: UC Berkeley Transportation Library
  • Files: BTRIS, TRIS
  • Created Date: Nov 29 2005 12:32PM