STRESSES AND DEFORMATIONS IN RAILWAY TRACK
An investigation conducted during the period May 1976 to April 1977 to study the behaviour of granular-type materials used in railroad track is reported. This work entailed three sections: investigations of the properties of ballast, which include oedometer repeated loading tests, vibration tests, and triaxial static and repeated loading tests on four sample ballast materials; testing of model plane strain footings of different widths under static and repeated loading conditions; and testing of a circular footing under static loading. The work on the properties of ballast represents an extension of that reported in CIGGT Report No. 75-10 and especially in CIGGT Report No. 76-11. An orthogonal experiment based on the hardness-toughness dimensions identified during the past year was designed, with one ballast representing each quadrant of the matrix.
Canadian Institute of Guided Ground TransportQueen's University
Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6, Canada
- RAYMOND, G P
- Publication Date: 1977-11
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 105 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Ballast (Railroads); Mechanical properties; Railroad tracks; Soil mechanics; Subballast; Tests; Train track dynamics
- Old TRIS Terms: Ballast mechanics; Track response investigations; Track structures
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00183900
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Canadian Institute of Guided Ground Transport
- Report/Paper Numbers: CIGGT-77-15 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 3 1978 12:00AM