IMPACT TESTS OF HOPPER CAR LOADED WITH FERROMANGANESE ORE
This report describes impact tests made on a four pocket hopper car loaded with ferromanganese ore in order to determine whether or not it is safe to ship such a product in hopper cars. Tests were made on both the A and B ends of the hopper car at speeds up to 11.3 miles per hour, and measurements and observations were made to check for any permanent deformation in major structural members of the car and for adequacy of the experimental wood bracing arrangement. It was included that hopper cars can be employed safely for the transportation of ferromanganese ore if adequate bracing is applied to the doors of the loaded hoppers. Only approved methods of bracing should be used and wood wedges should be used to secure the locking pawls of the door latches.
Chicago, IL USA 60605
- Publication Date: 1958-8
- Pagination: 1 p.
- TRT Terms: Collisions; Commodities; Deformation; Freight cars; Freight transportation; Hopper cars; Railroad cars; Safety; Technology; Vehicle dynamics
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Car impact
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00040370
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: AAR MR-321 Res Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM