CONSIDERATIONS FOR THE DESIGN OF LONG CARS FOR IMPROVING CURVE NEGOTIABILITY
Graphs derived from theoretical considerations are presented in this report to show the effects of applying 60-in. couplers to long cars and to indicate the extent to which truck centers require increased dimensions to provide acceptable flange forces. For purposes of illustration, calculations are based on an 85-ft. car coupled to two 31-ft. cars with all cars operating on a curve of uniform degree and with variously applied drawbar forces. The following is recommended: whenever possible, cars of 85 ft. and over should be equipped with 60-in. couplers; when cars cannot be equipped with 60-in. couplers truck centers should be spaced to produce a reduction in lateral forces.
Chicago, IL United States 60605
- Publication Date: 1966-11
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 20 p.
- TRT Terms: Couplers; Curved track; Design; Drawbars; Freight cars; Railroad tracks; Simulation; Technology; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral dynamics
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Car design; Long cars; Wheel lift
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00040319
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: MR-435 Res Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 5 1976 12:00AM