OVERVIEW OF MECHANICAL TUNNELING MACHINES AND TECHNIQUES FOR SOFT GROUND
This paper covers the construction of tunnels by mechanical excavators in soft ground and includes equipment such as shields and excavators and major subsystems, including excavation ground support, and materials handling. The paper is intended as an introduction to the subject for persons not specifically associated with soft-ground tunneling. Only the most common tunneling methods are described.
- For Meeting held April 10-12, 1978.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Morrell, R J
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Boring; Construction; Excavating equipment; Excavation; Excavation and tunneling; Ground handling; Materials management; Shields (Tunnels); Soft soils; Tunneling; Tunneling machines; Types of machines
- Old TRIS Terms: Excavation technology; Ground support; Shields (Tunneling); Tunnel excavation; Tunnels and tunneling
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Bridges and other structures; Construction; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00183336
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: n 780480 Preprint
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1978 12:00AM