DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT OF A HIGHWAY SPEED ROAD PROFILOMETER
A road profilometer has been designed and produced aboard a Chevrolet 20 Series Van instrumented with transducers and data acquisition equipment to measure and record the magnitudes of frequencies present in road surfaces. The information collected provides data for vehicle structural and suspension system development. The transducers include two non-contacting, vertical displacement transducers mounted on each side of the vehicle and two vertically orientated accelerometers placed directly above the displacement transducers. The vertical displacement optical transducers utilize lasers for illuminating the road surface. Vehicle speed and distance data is accumulated from a non-contacting optical transducer employing an optical correlation technique. Data acquisition, digitizing and encoding, and recording of data on a digital tape recorder is controlled by a microcomputer.
- Prepared for SAE Meeting Feb 27-Mar 3, 1978.
Warrendale, PA USA 15096
- Chaka, R J
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Accelerators (Devices); Applications; Automobiles; Data collection; Highways; Instrumented vehicles; Laser beams; Lasers; Measurement; Microcomputers; Microprocessors; Motor vehicles; Profilometers; Roughness; Speed; Surface course (Pavements); Surfaces; Suspension systems; Traffic speed; Transducers
- Old TRIS Terms: Accelerators; Computers (Microprocessor); Contour measurement; Data recording; Highway systems
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pavements; Research; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00183245
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 780064 Preprint
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 12 1978 12:00AM