THE HELICOPTER: ITS IMPORTANCE TO COMMERCE AND TO THE PUBLIC
The development of vertical flight is briefly surveyed, and comments are made on market activity in the late 1970's. The uses of rotorcraft are discussed and six major markets are reviewed: the oil industry, executive transport, agricultural application, law enforcement, emergency medical transport, and heavy lift. Secondary markets are explored, and scheduled helicopter services are considered. Military spinoff, the international scene and rotorcraft safety and maintenance are also considered. The near future of the commericial helicopter and the research and developmental needs of the commericial sector are discussed. It is noted that the rotor industry should, in view of the abudance of mechanical innovations now available to the commercial operator and the widening spectum of helicopter usage, do more to publicize its efforts. Among the challenges of th enear future are the development of multi-engine designs, and IFR capability. Closely related is the need to develop air traffic control procedures which utilize to the maximum the helicopter's unique capabilities for precise maneuver and variable air-speed. Anti- and de-icing technology as well as the requirement of pressurization are discussed. Comments are made on the establishment of effective and profitable services, the production of rotorcraft, and other relevant considerations.
HELICOPTER ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA?ALEXANDRIA, VA United States
- Davis, A N
- RICHARDSON, R A
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Pagination: 137 p.
- TRT Terms: Agriculture; Business aircraft; Civil aircraft; Development; Disasters and emergency operations; Hazards and emergency operations; Heavy lift vessels; Helicopters; Law enforcement; Lifting equipment; Research; Rotary wing aircraft
- Uncontrolled Terms: Research and development
- Old TRIS Terms: Heavy lift; Secondary market
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Research; Security and Emergencies; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00183236
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: HELICOPTER ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA?
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 31 1978 12:00AM