WAVEMETER DATA REDUCTION METHOD AND INITIAL DATA FOR THE SL-7 CONTAINERSHIP (SL-7-15)
So that more precise correlations between full scale observations and analytical and model results could be carried out, one of the objectives of the instrumentation program for the SL-7 class container ships was the provision of instrumental measures of the wave environment. To this end, two wave meter systems were installed on the S.S. SEA-LAND McLEAN. Raw data was collected from both systems during the second (1973-1974) and third (1974-1975) winter data collecting seasons. It was the purpose of the present work to reduce this raw data, to develop and implement such corrections as were found necessary and feasible, and to correlate and evaluate the final results from the two wave meters. In carrying out this work it was necessary to at least partly reduce several other channels of recorded data, so that, as a by-product, reduced results were also obtained for midship bending stresses, roll, pitch, and two components of acceleration on the ship's bridge. As the work progressed it became evident that the volume of documentation required would grow beyond the usual dimensions of a single technical report. For this reason the analyses, the methods, the detailed results, discussions, and conclusions are contained in a series of ten related reports. This report documents some background analyses, as well as those which were necessary to develop the needed corrections to the raw digitized data. Implementation of the results of the various analyses in a second data reduction stage is discussed.
- Technical Report on Project SR-1221, Correlation and Verification of Wavemeter Data from the SL-7.
Stevens Institute of Technology711 Hudson Street
Hoboken, NJ United States 07030
- Dalzell, J F
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 68 p.
- TRT Terms: Bending moments; Containerships; Equipment tests; Finite element method; Force; Hulls; Instrumentation; Loads; Ship motion; Spectrum analysis; Stresses; Structural analysis; Structural mechanics; Tanks (Containers); Wave measurement; Waves
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Structural response
- Old TRIS Terms: Hull bending moments; Hull response; Hull stress; Instrumentation technology; Tank testing; Wave forces on structures; Wave induced loads
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00183173
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Structure Committee
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC-278 Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00024-74-C-5451
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 31 1978 12:00AM