VIBRATION SIGNATURE ANALYSIS AS A PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE TOOL ABOARD SHIP
This paper describes vibration measurements of shipboard machines which are now being utilized in a program of preventive maintenance as a supplement to standard shipboard maintenance procedures. While similar in many respects to vibration measurements used ashore, the shipboard program must take into account environmental vibrations that occasionally mask the vibration of shipboard machines. Illustrations are shown of these environmental vibrations that are caused primarily by propeller blade passing frequencies and random turbulence from the propeller and hull. Implementation of a shipboard program using two portable instruments, a vibration meter and an analyzer/XY recorder, is briefly described. The value of such a program results from its ability to detect machine deterioration in its earliest stages while there is sufficient time to correct problems before they reach the critical stage. Examples of vibration signatures indicating machinery defects are given. Measurement techniques and procedures are also discussed which have been developed to pinpoint defects and separate environmental vibrations from those associated with the machines.
- Presented at the Ship Vibration Symposium sponsored by The Ship Structure Committee and The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, Arlington, Virginia, October 16-17, 1978.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- Catlin Jr, J B
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Hulls; Machinery; Measurement; Preventive maintenance; Propellers; Standards; Vibration
- Uncontrolled Terms: Signature analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Hull propeller interaction; Machinery vibration; Propeller induced vibration; Vibration measurement; Vibration standards
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00183170
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 31 1978 12:00AM