THE CONSIDERATIONS OF VIBRATIONS AND NOISE AT THE PRELIMINARY AND CONTRACT LEVELS OF SHIP DESIGN
The nature and the extent of the engineering effort devoted to vibration and noise up to and including the contract design of ships are dependent on several factors. The key factors are related to the owner's philosophy on design and on the availability of suitable analyses procedures. Much reliance is placed on past design practices and experience. It is fairly usual to estimate and compare natural frequencies of hull and shafting vibration with propeller blade frequencies. The direct effort devoted to noise is minimal. Results of the research and development programs over the recent years are now emerging as rules, regulations, guidelines and analyses procedures which should be heeded and applied in the course of design. The analyses procedures do require additional experimental and full-scale verification. There is need to update and or develop new empirical formulas to estimate hull natural frequencies of modern ships. It is advisable for SNAME to consolidate and publish all relevant reference material for vibration and noise in form of a loose-leaf "text book."
- Presented at the Ship Vibration Symposium sponsored by The Ship Structure Committee and The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, Arlington, Virginia, October 16-17, 1978.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Maniar, N M
- Daidola, J C
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Engine rooms; Hulls; Machinery; Measurement; Noise; Propellers; Ship classification; Ships; Slamming; Structural analysis; Vehicle design; Vibration
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ship design
- Old TRIS Terms: Engine room vibration; Hull response; Hull vibration; Machinery vibration; Propeller induced vibration; Springing; Structural vibration; Structure-borne noise; Vibration measurement
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00183159
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 31 1978 12:00AM