STATE OF THE ART FOR SHIPBOARD VIBRATION AND NOISE CONTROL
The continued demand for higher powers, the use of gas turbine propulsion systems and the invocation of more stringent vibration and airborne noise criteria have placed increased emphasis on the control of shipboard vibration and airborne noise on both Commercial and Military ships. The authors present a brief background review of the specifications invoked in recent shipbuilding programs and the approach employed in the development of the DD963 and LNG designs. The paper is presented in two parts, the first dealing with vibration control and the second with noise control. Part I includes the Approach to Vibration Control, Vibration Specifications. The Measurement and Evaluation of Shipboard Vibration, Propeller Excited Forces, The Prediction of Hull and Machinery Vibration, Recent Findings and Recommended Research Efforts. Part II deals with Current Commercial and Military Airborne Noise Specifications. The Prediction of Compartment Noise, and Techniques Employed in the Control of Compartment Noise.
- Presented at the Ship Vibration Symposium sponsored by The Ship Structure Committee and The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, Arlington, Virginia, October 16-17, 1978.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Noonan, E F
- Feldman, S
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 38 p.
- TRT Terms: Cavitation (Mechanics); Cavitation erosion; Damping (Physics); Excitation; Hulls; Machinery; Measurement; Noise; Noise control; Propellers; Ships; State of the art; Structural analysis; Vibration; Vibration control
- Uncontrolled Terms: Noise reduction
- Old TRIS Terms: Hull vibration; Machinery vibration; Propeller excitation; Propeller induced vibration; Shipboard noise; Structural vibration; Structure-borne noise; Vibration measurement
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00183157
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 31 1978 12:00AM