2004 Summer Transportation Institute
The Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Missouri, Rolla, has hosted a U.S. Department of Transportation Summer Transportation Institute (STI) for the past five years. The programs have been very successful. The STI is a 5-week intensive program during summer for high school students, targeted primarily toward minorities but not limited to them. The goals of the STI are to: (1) expose secondary school students to and allow them to participate in a series of academic and practical experiences designed to motivate them toward professions in the transportation industry; and (2) provide secondary school students with mathematics, science and technological enrichment to enable them to pursue a career in the transportation industry. This would help to increase the number of youths entering the transportation profession and would help the University in its recruiting efforts. The 15 students (10th, 11th and 12th graders) who were chosen for the 2004 program were exposed to university life, leadership and team building activities; a 3-credit college history course; and a series of lectures, seminars, hands-on laboratories and field trips.
- This research was supported by a grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation, University Transportation Centers program.
University of Missouri, RollaCenter for Infrastructure Engineering Studies
1870 Miner Circle Drive
Rolla, MO United States 65409
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Yoest, Lonnajean
- Publication Date: 2004-12
- Media Type: Print
- Edition: Final Report
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Civil engineering; Education; High school students; History; Minorities; Transportation careers
- Identifier Terms: University of Missouri--Rolla
- Geographic Terms: Missouri
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Education and Training; Highways; History; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 01005749
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UTC ETT110, Report No. 00000874
- Contract Numbers: DTRS98-G-0021 (Grant)
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 8 2005 10:53AM