AREA DESIGN OF RAIL BOUND MANGANESE FROG
For test purposes 4 AREA design #10 rail bound frogs were installed in main track in comparison with 3 PRR Standard rail bound frogs. At each of the three locations both types of frogs were placed in track having similar traffic conditions. A record of first cost, service performance and maintenance difficulties was kept for each location. It was concluded that the AREA design Rail Bound Frog will give longer service and be more economical than the PRR Standard Frog. Therefore it was recommended that the PRR Standard for Rail Bound Manganese Frogs be modified to include the basic AREA design at the heel of the frog which includes the 7" spread of the casting and the support and design of the heel rails.
Penn Central Transportation CompanyTransportation Center, 6 Penn Center Plaza
Philadelphia, PA United States 19104
- Code, C J
- Publication Date: 1956-8-21
- Pagination: 3 p.
- TRT Terms: Costs; Field tests; Frogs (Railroads); Maintenance of way; Railroad tracks; Structural design; Technology
- Uncontrolled Terms: Track design
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Subject Areas: Finance; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00040280
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Test No 600 Test Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM