IMPACTS OF A WATERWAYS USER CHARGE ON THE ECONOMY OF TENNESSEE
This study evaluates the possible impacts of Federally imposed waterway user charges on Tennessee's economy. The purposes of the investigation were to provide a general historical and legislative background on the user charge issue, to broadly define the problems, to assess potential charges and their impacts, and to provide the basis for the establishment of a State position on the waterway user charge controversy. The intent has been that the study should serve the function of an informational report, with no hard-drawn recommendations. The study is arranged under the headings:( 1) Introduction-Historical and Legislative Background; (2) Positions, Conflicts, and Issues--An Overview; (3) Waterway User Charges--Financial and Economic Analysis (Estimated Federal Costs by Major River Segment--A Financial and Operating Profile of the Towing Industry--Navigation Cost Recovery Alternatives); (4) Economic Impact of Waterway User Charges: Some Conclusions on Economic and Social Considerations for Tennessee (Tennessee Employment Impact--Tennessee Consumer Impact--Social Considerations). Appendix A: Surveys of Tennessee Towing Firms and Industrial Shippers. Appendix B: Methodology for Lockage Fee Computation. Appendix C: Tennessee's River Systems and Physical Characteristics.
Memphis State University, MemphisBureau of Business and Economic Research
Memphis, TN USA 38152
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Pagination: 197 p.
- TRT Terms: Costs; Economic analysis; Economic development; Economics; Fuel taxes; Fuels; Inland waterways; Locks (Waterways); Operating costs; Tolls; Towing devices; User charges; Waterways
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fuel costs
- Old TRIS Terms: Inland waterways economics; Toll operations; Towing operations
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Finance; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00182982
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Tennessee Department of Transportation
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 31 1978 12:00AM