ROLLER AND DROP TESTS OF POTENTIALLY DEFECTIVE RAIL
Roller tests and drop tests were conducted on a batch of rail suspected of having interior defects. A Sperry hand testing device had been used to indicate the defects. A total of 25 rails were subjected to the roller test. A camber of 13/16" on rolls spaced 90 in. apart was used. All 25 rails endured the test with out fracture. Next, the rails were submitted for drop testing. This was carried out with the rail placed on a 48" span with a drop of 22 feet and the blow of the tap was directed at the location marked by the Sperry hand check. Results indicated that interior defects were not present.
Penn Central Transportation CompanyTransportation Center, 6 Penn Center Plaza
Philadelphia, PA USA 19104
- Publication Date: 1931-7-9
- Pagination: 2 p.
- TRT Terms: Defects; Drop tests; Rail (Railroads); Technology
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Rail drop tests
- Subject Areas: Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00040256
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Test No. 172
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM