THE ABRASION OF EXPERIMENTAL HEAT TREATED AND UNTREATED RAIL ON THE HORSESHOE CURVE
After seven years and eight months in service, both rolled and heat treated and rolled and untreated rails were removed from the Horseshoe Curve at Altoona. Abrasion measurement were taken throughout the time interval. No broken or defective rails were encountered during the service period, but some rails particularly the untreated ones, were worn badly. Abrasion data are provided.
Penn Central Transportation CompanyTransportation Center, 6 Penn Center Plaza
Philadelphia, PA USA 19104
- Publication Date: 1935-1-15
- Features: Tables;
- Pagination: 3 p.
- TRT Terms: Abrasions; Curved track; Field tests; Metal heating; Rail (Railroads); Railroad tracks; Technology; Wear
- Uncontrolled Terms: Heat treatment
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00040253
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM