SKID RESISTANT CHARACTERISTICS OF ILLINOIS AGGREGATES
Laboratory tests were conducted on aggregate and rock samples from quarries which had provided aggregate for test pavements. Aggregate extracted from bituminous cores were also tested. The tests included the determination of acid insoluble residue content, Na2SO4 soundness, LA abrasion resistance, abrasion hardness, rebound hardness, accelerated wear, and petrographic characteristics. These data were correlated with the skid resistance of PCC and bituminous pavements measured by the braking trailer skid tests, British pendulum tester and the evaluation of textural parameters from stereophotographs. The study concentrated on relating coarse aggregate characteristics to skid resistance of bituminous pavements. The strongest correlation was a direct relationship between trailer skid resistance and dolomite crystal size. Polished stone value, abrasion hardness, and percent of coarse aggregate in the pavement surface showed weak but direct trends. Abrasion hardness, Na2SO4 soundness, absorption capacity and quartz content of carbonate aggregate showed weak to moderate correlations with 6 hr polished stone values. Correlations of trailer skid no. versus both british pendulum tester skid no. and phote skid no. were statistically high and independent of pavement of aggregate type. /FHWA/
- Record URL:
- This report was sponsored by the Illinois Department of Transportation and prepared in cooperation with DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignEngineering Experiment Station
Urbana, IL United States 61801
- Berger, R L
- Russell, S J
- Marek, C J
- Turkoy, P J
- Ullrich, C R
- Publication Date: 1978-5-18
- Pagination: 148 p.
- TRT Terms: Abrasion resistance; Absorption; Accelerated weathering; Aggregates; Carbonates; Dolomite; Hardness; Laboratory tests; Limestone aggregates; Pendulum tests; Petrology; Quartz; Rebound; Rock crystals; Size; Skid resistance; Skidding; Stereoscopic cameras
- Uncontrolled Terms: Skid number
- Old TRIS Terms: Petrofabric analysis; Stereoscopic photography
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00182636
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-IL-78-UI-170 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: IHR-406
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 3 2000 12:00AM