Little Breton: French Footbridge Refurbishment

The small Breton village of Le Bono is located on the banks of the Sal River. A suspension bridge, a modest structure just 100 m long which was built in 1840 was originally the only link between two sides of the village. Because of its bad state of repair, the bridge was closed for vehicles in 1995, and even for pedestrians in 2003. The construction of another bridge further upstream that allows motorists to cross the Sal has made the old suspension bridge no longer essential, but it is still part of the village's history, and local residents have remained attached to it. The article follows the process to raise the funding needed to restore the bridge and reopen it to walkers. The winning bid presented to the call for tenders involves a complete reconstruction of the bridge deck using a galvanized structure, and the replacement of the 12 suspension cables. The work on the contract began October 2004, and the work was completed and the bridge reopened in February this year.

Language

  • English

Media Info

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 01002672
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Files: TRIS
  • Created Date: Jul 26 2005 8:15AM