CLAIMS AT STAKE : WHAT YOU SHOULD WATCH OUT FOR WHEN DEALING WITH DEICERS
Deicer performance claims and their inherent variability are examined in this articled on different deicer options for roads. Environmental impact, concrete damage, and corrosion performance claims are often posted, but key variables remain difficult to control and measure. The article describes the different types of biodegradability and toxicity metrics that can be omitted or misstated in deicer product claims. Published laboratory test results often lack the rigor of repeated tests. The basic physical properties of concrete, rather than deicer ingredients, play a bigger role in concrete damage. Variability of laboratory tests to determine concrete damage from deicing products can also pose difficulties. Corrosion claims face the same test variability and are confounded by the effect of trace impurities of heavy metals in deicers.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/11660022
- Page range: 32, 34, 36, 38-40
Scranton Gillette Communications380 E Northwest Highway, Suite 200
Des Planes, IL United States 60016-2282
- Publication Date: 2005-4
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Concrete; Corrosion; Deicers (Equipment); Environmental impacts; Performance tests
- Subject Areas: Environment; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 01001641
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: UC Berkeley Transportation Library
- Files: BTRIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 7 2005 12:00AM