COMPUTER AIDED SHIP HULL DEFINITION AT THE NAVAL SHIP ENGINEERING CENTER
The prototype CASDAC Hull Subsystem came into being in early 1976 and was first applied to the design of a 666 ft. l.b.p. cruiser. A primary objective of the system developers was to maximize, by their linked use, the short-term benefits from programs which had previously been developed under the auspices of the Computer Aided Ship Design and Construction (CASDAC) project. Four pre-existing programs make up the prototype system: 1. The Ship Hull Form Generator (HULGEN). 2. The Ship Hull Definition Program (HULDEF). 3. The Ship Hull Characteristics Program (SHCP). 4. The MIT Motions Program (MITM). HULGEN is an interactive graphics program to aid in the development of a ship's body plan. It is designed to provide, as nearly as possible, the same curves as those used in the manual hull development process. Given the dimensional parameters, length, beam, draught, prismatic and midship section coefficients, LCB and LCF, HULGEN develops the default parameters and control curves to produce a body plan. The key idea of HULDEF is the use of parametric cubic splines together with certain rules of interpolation to build up a line-for-line definition of the ship's hull which is sufficiently accurate for all ship design and construction purposes. Examples are given of the use of the two systems in the development of a variety of ships' body plans.
- Presented at the Symposium on Computer-Aided Hull Definition, Annapolis, Maryland, September 26-27, 1977.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- Fuller, A L
- Aughey, M E
- Billingsley, D W
- Publication Date: 1977
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer aided design; Computer graphics; Fairing lines; Hulls; Naval architecture; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Interactive graphics; Ship design
- Old TRIS Terms: Hull definition; Hull geometry; Hull lines; Lines fairing
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00182487
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 12 1978 12:00AM