Improving Paratransit Customer Service Through Increased Efficiency - The Montréal Experience

The Société de Transport de Montréal (STM) has been responsible for providing public transportation services to the paratransit community in Montréal since 1980. By 2002, the number of trips per year had grown to 1,300,000 from the initial 175,000. Roughly 30% of these trips were provided by STM minibuses while the remaining 70% were contracted out to taxi companies. Needless to say, the increasing demand puts a lot of pressure on STM resources, not only for the actual delivery of the transportation services, but also for the Call Center and scheduling. As an example, the number of employees required to plan the services increased from 20 in 1982 to 54 in 2002. By 2002, the Call Center was receiving an average of 1,500 calls per day, including approximately 1,000 for trip reservations and 500 to cancel trips or make various enquiries. During peak hours, clients averaged 42 call attempts before getting a line. They then waited on the line for an average of 7 minutes before speaking to an agent for approximately 5 minutes, for a total call duration of 12 minutes. While there is no data available on the punctuality of service delivery, surveys indicated that the ratio of satisfied customers was low for both the minibus (69%) and taxi (53%). Significant delays and cancellation of trips were frequent.

Language

  • English

Media Info

  • Media Type: Print
  • Features: Tables;
  • Pagination: 3p
  • Monograph Title: 2005 Bus & Paratransit Conference

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 01001918
  • Record Type: Publication
  • ISBN: 1931594163
  • Files: TRIS
  • Created Date: Jul 11 2005 11:28AM