The paper describes the present state-of-the-art in methods for analysing vibration and elaborates on the difficulties associated with the determination of the damping parameters, i.e. stiffness, mass and damping. Some recommendations for better modelling of the ship structure and a more reliable treatment of the vibration parameters are given. The importance of better data preparation from the shipyard to reduce the cost of the analysis is emphasized. The numerical methods are briefly discussed and the principles of different modelling techniques are outlined. To obtain a better understanding of the vibration phenomena, step-by-step calculations applying the superelement technique are suggested. Order from: BSRA as No. 49,085.
- Presented at the Seminar on Ship Vibration, June 8-9, 1977.
Norske VeritasGrenseveien 92, Etterstad
Oslo 6, Norway
- Skaar, K T
- Publication Date: 1977
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Damping (Physics); State of the art; Structural analysis; Vibration; Vibration control
- Old TRIS Terms: Structural vibration
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00182473
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper No. 8
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 27 1978 12:00AM