OPTIMUM DESIGN OF FRAMES USING LINEAR PROGRAMMING TECHNIQUES
Presented is an optimization technique, using linear programming methods, which can effectively be used to design structural frames. Stress constraints as well as conditions of equilibrium and compatibility are considered. The approach is demonstrated to be more efficient than presently available nonlinear techniques on large problems. Although the method is iterative, a modification of the standard simplex method is used which considerably decreases computational time. A discussion is presented outlining how the technique can be extended to handle additional requirements such as multiple loading conditions, non-nodal loads and displacement constraints.
Clarkson College of Technology,
- Briggs, W J
- Willmert, K D
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 36 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Frames; Linear programming; Loads; Optimization; Structural analysis; Structural design
- Old TRIS Terms: Computer programs (Structural analysis)
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00182464
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Office of Naval Research
- Report/Paper Numbers: MIE-026 Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00014-76-C-0064
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 27 1978 12:00AM