SD TRUCK PERFORMANCE ON THE BALTIMORE & OHIO RAILROAD AND RELATED WHEEL WEAR ON THE CUMBERLAND DIVISION
This test program was designed to determine the causes of excessive rail wear and associated wheel flange wear, and derailments involving SD-35 locomotive units, which resulted during operation of the first SD-35 units on coal trains between Grafton and Terra Alta, W.V. The test program was to measure the actual wheel-to-rail lateral loads and the associated truck motions under all possible operating conditions. Also, wheel wear tests were run on standard wrought steel and new cast steel wheels as a first step in an effort to find a better wear resistance wheel. Test results are reported and recommendations are made.
General Motors CorporationWarren, MI USA 48090
- MARTA, H A
- Publication Date: 1966-12-5
- Features: Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 165 p.
- TRT Terms: Curved track; Diesel locomotives; Dynamic loads; Dynamics; Field tests; Freight trains; Locomotives; Rail (Railroads); Railroad tracks; Railroad trains; Technology; Train track dynamics; Trucks; Vehicle design; Wear; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral dynamics
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00040190
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: 128 Test Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 6 1976 12:00AM