MASSTRAM: THE DEVELOPMENT OF A COMPUTER SYSTEM FOR THE COST-EFFECTIVE MAINTENANCE OF RAIL EQUIPMENT IN URBAN MASS TRANSIT SYSTEMS
This document is intended as a management oriented guide to the rail vehicle maintenance scheduling problem and to the new model (MASSTRAM) developed for evaluating such schedules. This final report outlines and discusses a three phase project for the development of a conversational computer system for the cost-effective maintenance of heavy equipment in urban mass transit systems. Phases I and II consisted of operations analysis of maintenance activities at selected properties, namely, on maintenance procedures at the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA). Phase III consisted of the development of a model called MASSTRAM (Maintenance Analysis and Scheduling System for Transit Management). A new model, MASSTRAM, has been designed to be compatible with whatever information system a transit property uses for collecting and storing information on vehicle maintenance and repair activities. MASSTRAM has the ability to evaluate the cost and service loss implications of any specified maintenance strategy, given the prevaling maintenance/breakdown relationships. In addition, the model can be used to generate an 'optimal' preventive maintenance schedule. A 'User's Manual' has been written for MASSTRAM containing detailed explanations of all options available. MASSTRAM is now operational. MBTA plans to incorporate MASSTRAM in their Computerized Maintenance Records System when their system is completed. The value of MASSTRAM rests with the use to which it is put by transit management and staff, and with the ability of information systems to provide the model with up-to-date accurate information in the required formats.
- See also PB-285450. Also available in set of 3 reports PC E06, PB-285 448-SET. RRIS 17 182071; Bulletin 7901.
Boston UniversitySchool of Management
Boston, MA United States 02215
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Herniter, J D
- Rosenthal, S R
- Welam, U P
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Pagination: 199 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programming; Computer programs; Cost effectiveness; Information storage and retrieval systems; Maintenance management; Maintenance practices; Management information systems; Passenger cars; Planning; Preventive maintenance; Public transit; Rapid transit; Rapid transit cars; Scheduling; Urban transportation; Vehicle maintenance
- Identifier Terms: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
- Old TRIS Terms: Passenger car maintenance; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Maintenance and Preservation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00182072
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0073-78-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-MA-06-0073
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 3 1982 12:00AM