FREIGHT CAR DEMAND INFORMATION AND FORECASTING RESEARCH PROJECT. INDUSTRY REPORT
A rail freight car demand forecasting study was initiated to investigate the nature of short-range shipper demand and the requirements for a forecasting system (Phase I, Final Report, March 1975) and to develop a forecasting system based on those requirements to predict that demand (Phase II, Final Report, November 1977). This report is an implementation guide for the railroad industry of the demand forecasting system (D4) developed in Phase II. The report briefly reviews the work in the previous phases of research, relates the relevant issues as to the use of a demand forecasting system, covers the method and procedures needed to set up D4, and serves as a 'user's manual' to D4. By using D4 as described in this report as the basis of a demand forecasting system, a railroad can quickly and inexpensively computerize an important component of its car distribution system.
- See also Phase 1, PB-261473.
Chicago, IL United States 60616
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Minger, W K
- Hargrove, M B
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Pagination: 95 p.
- TRT Terms: Car distribution (Railroads); Car supply (Railroads); Demand; Forecasting; Freight cars; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Information processing; Information storage and retrieval systems; Information systems; Physical distribution; Railroad transportation; Railroads; Specifications; Traffic forecasting
- Uncontrolled Terms: Distribution systems; Requirement
- Old TRIS Terms: Car supply; Cargo transportation
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00182067
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/OPPD-78/13
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-30058
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 3 1979 12:00AM