STRUCTURAL BEHAVIOR OF A REINFORCED CONCRETE ARCH CULVERT. PHASE 3. CEDAR CREEK. SECTION VII (VOLUME 2): FINITE ELEMENT ANALYSIS (MODIFIED METHOD B BACKFILL)
Finite element analyses were made of the embankment surrounding a 22-ft (6.7 m), reinforced concrete arch culvert under 191 ft (58 m) of overfill, the arch barrel being surrounded by a single bale thickness of straw. The program employed was the most recent version of IPSA (Incremental Plain Strain Analysis, quadrilateral elements, Gauss linear equation solver, UC, Davis), in which earlier versions were modified to: (1) permit analyses of reinforced earth embankments; (2) employ iteration within layered increments; (3) enlarge upon the scope of soil models considered to include a model with an hyperbolic simulation of the stress-strain diagram obtained from triaxial tests. Results of analyses using the soil and straw moduli as measured indicated soil stresses at the arch extrados and vertical embankment displacements which were much lower than theoretical. Correlations of theoretical and measured soil stresses and embankment displacements were greatly improved when measured soil moduli were halved or when the stress-strain diagram for the straw was altered to a 20% strain datum.
- See also PB-285 108, and PB-285 110. Also available in set of 11 reports PC E99, PB-285 099-SET.
California Department of Motor VehiclesP.O. Box 11828, 2415 1st Avenue
Sacramento, CA USA 95813
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Davis, R E
- Nix, H D
- Bacher, A E
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Pagination: 158 p.
- TRT Terms: Arches; Backfilling; Culverts; Deformation curve; Earth pressure; Embankments; Fills; Finite element method; Highways
- Geographic Terms: California
- Old TRIS Terms: Backfills
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00182049
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: 624120-SECT-7-VOL-2, FHWA/CA/ST-4120-77-10
- Files: NTIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 3 2002 12:00AM