STRUCTURAL BEHAVIOR OF A REINFORCED CONCRETE ARCH CULVERT. PHASE 3. CEDAR CREEK. SECTION VII (VOLUME 1): FINITE ELEMENT ANALYSIS (METHOD A BACKFILL)
Finite element analyses were made of the embankment surrounding a 22-ft (6.7 m), reinforced concrete arch culvert under 191 ft (58 m) of overfill by means of two programs: (1) PYPSIT (constant strain triangles, iterative equation solver; UC, Berkeley); and, (2) IPSA (quadrilateral elements, Gauss linear equation solver; UC, Davis). Soil elastic moduli were determined by Kondner's method; triaxial tests did not permit assessment of Poisson's ratio. Soil stresses acting on the arch extrados for the wH:0.3wH distribution commonly used in design were closely predicted by an analysis with fully fixed boundaries and an assumed ru of 0.35. Lateral soil stresses increased with increasing Poisson's ratio and with release of boundary constraints, due to 'wedging' phenomena. Soil stresses predicted by linear elastic, gravity-turn-on or incremental analyses were similar, but embankment displacements could be reasonably predicted only by incremental analyses. None of the analyses correctly assessed the anomalous soil stress distribution derived from stressmeter readings.
- See also PB-285 107, and PB-285 109. Also available in set of 11 reports PC E99, PB-285 099-SET.
California Department of Motor VehiclesP.O. Box 11828, 2415 1st Avenue
Sacramento, CA USA 95813
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Nix, H D
- Davis, R E
- Bacher, A E
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Pagination: 31 p.
- TRT Terms: Culverts; Earth pressure; Embankments; Fills; Finite element method; Highways; Modulus of elasticity; Soil mechanics; Stresses
- Uncontrolled Terms: Stress concentration
- Geographic Terms: California
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00182048
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: 624120-SECT-7-VOL-1, FHWA/CA/ST-4120-77-09
- Files: NTIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 3 2002 12:00AM