ROAD TEST OF BOX TYPE BAGGAGE CARS B&O SERIES 1700 AND 1800
At a test speed of 55 mph the cars exhibited stable ride characteristics. At 60 mph an increase in lateral and vertical motions were noted. At 70 mph the cars become erratic and a definite bounce mode could be noticed. In several instances over one stretch of the test area wheel unloading was experienced on the car equipped with freight trucks. It was concluded by all those present that these cars should be restricted to a maximum operating speed of 60 miles per hour.
- Letter Correspondence.
Chesapeake and Ohio RailwayTerminal Tower, PO Box 6419
Cleveland, OH USA 44101
- Burns, J E
- Publication Date: 1970-5-21
- Pagination: 2 p.
- TRT Terms: Baggage; Dynamics; Freight cars; Motor vehicles; Railroad cars; Ride quality; Stability (Mechanics); Technology; Train track dynamics; Vehicle dynamics; Velocity
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral dynamics; Vertical dynamics
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Baggage cars; Wheel lift
- Subject Areas: Finance; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00040186
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FILE 540
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 10 1976 12:00AM