MONETIZATION OF TRANSPORTATION IMPACTS: POLICY EVALUATION METHODOLOGY
The impacts of transportation investments are often measured in units that make comparisons difficult. Converting the units of an impact into equivalent dollar values (called monetization) will allow the combination of diverse effects measured in different inherent units. The result of this monetization process should provide additional objective and useful information in the decision-making process, and thus improve the analysis of investment alternatives. This report concentrates on those impacts that are relatively easy to monetize (travel time, energy use) and those impacts that are relatively difficult to monetize (pollution, accidents). Monetization for current values only is considered. The report consists of nine parts: an introduction and summary of the findings plus eight appendixes detailing the monetization process for a number of transportation impacts. The appendixes discuss the following: pollution, crime, accident costs, comfort, residential and business relocation, travel time and energy use.
Chicago, IL United States 60607
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationOffice of Policy and Program Development, 400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Rock, S M
- Publication Date: 1978-4
- Pagination: 138 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Analysis; Benefit cost analysis; Cost estimating; Crashes; Crimes; Decision making; Economic analysis; Energy; Estimates; Evaluation; Fuel consumption; Impact studies; Investments; Land use; Methodology; Policy; Pollution; Relocation (Facilities); Traffic crashes; Transportation; Transportation planning; Travel demand; Travel time; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents; Relocation
- Old TRIS Terms: Analyzing
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Energy; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00181986
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IL-11-0008-78-1Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 14 1981 12:00AM