STUDY OF RAIL FAILURES IN THE TRACK--MEASUREMENTS IN THE TRACK OF THE SIZE OF INTERNAL TRANSVERSE RAIL FAILURES-- STUDIES OF THE SNCB CONCERNING THE DYNAMICS OF FAILURES IN THE RAIL-ENDS
This report deals with the tests for assessing the extent of transverse cracks of internal origin in the rail-head; these tests were made in the ORE track at Villeneuve-Triage marshalling yard. The studies were concerned with test methods and instruments used and an evaluation of the results obtained by each method considered. It was found that for the determination of the extent of transverse failures of this order of magnitude and for those which should be examined in the track within the scope of studies of the dynamics of rail failures, both the ultrasonic and electric procedures can lead to comparable results, which are, moreover, nearer to reality.
- Restriction on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1966-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 14 p.
- TRT Terms: Cracking; Defects; Inspection; Nondestructive tests; Rail (Railroads); Railroad yards; Technology; Ultrasonic tests
- Geographic Terms: Netherlands
- Old TRIS Terms: Fissures (Rails); Question d88
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00040178
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: D88/RP 4/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 6 1976 12:00AM