SEVEN EXPERIMENT DESIGNS ADDRESSING PROBLEMS OF SAFETY AND CAPACITY ON TWO-LANE RURAL HIGHWAYS. VOLUME IV: EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN TO DEVELOP AND EVALUATE REMEDIAL AIDS TO URBAN DRIVERS OF SLOW MOVING VEHICLES ON A GRADE
Accidents between vehicles traveling in the same direction represent a large proportion of all traffic accidents. Past studies have shown that as the speed differential between two vehicles traveling in the same direction increases, the accident rate soars. This speed differential is commonly found with a large vehicle ascending a grade being overtaken by a faster vehicle. In this volume, an experimental design was developed to evaluate a series of active and passive warning devices, including roadside and vehicle-mounted devices. A state-of-the-art survey and bibliography are included. A questionnaire, designed to appraise motorists' reactions to these devices, is appended.
- See also Volume 3, PB-284404, and Volume 5, PB-284409. Also available in set of 8 reports PC E15, PB-284 401-SET.
KLD Associates, Incorporated47 Mall Drive, Suite 8
Commack, NY United States 11725-5717
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- King, G F
- Abramson, P
- Cohen, J W
- Wilkinson, M R
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Pagination: 60 p.
- TRT Terms: Acceleration (Mechanics); Attitudes; Crash rates; Design; Distance; Divided highways; Drivers; Highway capacity; Highway safety; Highway traffic control; Prevention; Rural areas; Rural highways; Safety; Safety engineering; Slopes; Slow moving vehicles; Speed; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety; Two lane highways; Warning devices; Warning systems
- Uncontrolled Terms: Capacity; Experimental design; Grade (Slope); Motor vehicle accidents; Speed differential
- Old TRIS Terms: Remedial aids
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00181971
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-FHWA-78-2-IVFinal Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-992
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Nov 14 1979 12:00AM