SEVEN EXPERIMENT DESIGNS ADDRESSING PROBLEMS OF SAFETY AND CAPACITY ON TWO-LANE RURAL HIGHWAYS. VOLUME II: EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN TO DEVELOP AND EVALUATE DYNAMIC AIDS FOR NARROW BRIDGES
A large number of bridges on two-lane rural highways are narrow bridges. While there is no universally accepted definition of this type of bridge, it is generally considered to be one where the roadway and/or shoulders narrow significantly. It has been recognized that this situation produces accidents with either the bridge structure, oncoming vehicles or both. In this volume, an experimental design was developed to measure the relative effectiveness of various types of active and passive devices to warn motorists of the presence of a narrow bridge ahead. Suggested measures of effectiveness and the necessary statistical tests are described. In addition, a state-of-the art survey and bibliography are presented.
- See also Volume 1, PB-284402, and Volume 3, PB-284404. Also available in set of 8 reports PC E15, PB-284 401-SET.
KLD Associates, Incorporated47 Mall Drive, Suite 8
Commack, NY USA 11725-5717
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- King, G F
- Abramson, P
- Cohen, J W
- Wilkinson, M R
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Pagination: 72 p.
- TRT Terms: Bibliographies; Crashes; Design; Divided highways; Highway bridges; Highway capacity; Highway safety; Measures of effectiveness; Narrow bridges; Rural areas; Rural highways; Safety engineering; State of the art studies; Statistical analysis; Two lane highways; Warning systems
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness; Experimental design
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00181969
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-FHWA-78-2-IIFinal Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-992
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Nov 14 1979 12:00AM