SAFETY TREATMENT OF ROADSIDE CULVERTS ON LOW VOLUME ROADS
Current American Association of State Transportation and Highway Officials (AASHTO) criteria for safety-treating fixed roadside hazards suggest that all culverts within a certain clear distance of the edge of the traveled way be shielded by a roadside barrier. This is not necessarily a cost-effective solution for low volume highways. Using a cost-effectiveness model currently recommended by AASHTO, guidelines for safety-treating culverts have been developed for 36 in. diameter pipe, 4 ft x 6 ft (4 ft height x 6 ft width) single box, and 4 ft x 6 ft multi-box (double box) culverts located on low volume, rural highways (average daily traffic less than 20,000). Each culvert design was evaluated on fill section embankments with 2 1/2:1 and 6:1 slopes and for end offsets of 12, 18, and 24 ft. The treatments considered for each culvert design and embankment slope were: (1) do nothing (i.e., leave the culvert unprotected); (2) extend the culvert end 30 ft from the edge of the traveled way; (3) provide guardrail protection; and (4) provide grate protection.
- Sponsored in part by Texas State Dept. of Highways and Public Transportation, Austin. Transportation Planning Div. Report on Economics of Highway Design Alternatives.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Washington, DC United States 20590
Texas Office of Traffic Safety AdministrationP.O. Box 13166, Capitol Station
Austin, TX United States 78711
- Kohutek, T L
- Ross, HEJ
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Pagination: 127 p.
- TRT Terms: Barriers (Roads); Cost effectiveness; Culverts; Design; Embankments; Hazards; Highway traffic; Highways; Low volume roads; Roadside; Rural highways; Safety engineering; Safety equipment; Traffic crashes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Barriers; Design criteria; Motor vehicle accidents
- Old TRIS Terms: Vehicular traffic
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00181961
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-TX-77-225-1 Final Rpt., TTI-2-8-77-225-1
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, ATRI, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 14 1979 12:00AM