STUDY OF RAIL FAILURES IN THE TRACK--STUDY ON THE DYNAMICS OF RAIL DEFECTS
The following rail defects were investigated: star-cracking at holes within fishplate limits; horizontal cracks in the head; and transverse cracks (kidney-shaped fatigue crack) starting within the head. The report also formulates some observations on the dynamics of each of the defects, namely: irregular development of star-cracks; checking or "stagnation" of horizontal cracks in the head; propagation of transverse cracks, according to an exponential law. The report concluded that the irregular development of star cracks depended on a large number of factors, of which the condition of the rail-joint and the maintenance conditions appeared to be the most important. The same was true in the case of horizontal cracks in the head at the rail-end.
- Restriction on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1965-10
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 14 p.
- TRT Terms: Cracking; Defects; Failure; Rail (Railroads)
- Old TRIS Terms: Fissures (Rails); Question d88; Rail failure; Star cracks (Rails)
- Subject Areas: Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00040177
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: D88/RP 2/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM