RIDE SHARED VEHICLE PARATRANSIT SYSTEM
The project has been concerned with developing strategies to utilize the existing resources of the taxi industry and other paratransit service organizations. The major emphasis has been to develop the Ride Shared Vehicle Paratransit (RSVP) System, which provides hardware and software support for computer-based fare calculation and display within the existing institutional and regulatory framework of the taxi industry. The project has utilized Peoples Cab Company, an operating taxi company owned by the Center for Entrepreneurial Development, a non-profit corporation affiliated with Carnegie-Mellon University. Taxi service from the RSVP System is requested either through a telephone call or street hail. The operator enters trip data via the RSVP Operations Console and initiates a routine which calculates the fare and the estimated trip time; the results are displayed on the Operations Console and communicated to the customer prior to the trip. If either exclusive ride or shared ride service is desired, the operator specifies which vehicle will provide the service and initiates transmission of trip data to the appropriate vehicle. The concept of computer-based point-to-point fare calculation and the discount rates based on such fare calculation for various classes of group ride services have been approved by the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission.
Carnegie Mellon UniversityWean Hall 4323
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA United States 15213-3890
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Au, T
- Baumann, DMB
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Pagination: 89 p.
- TRT Terms: Calculators; Computers; Emergency vehicles; Fares; Information display systems; Information processing; Level of service; Motor vehicles; Paratransit services; Regulations; Ridesharing; Software; Taxicabs; Urban transportation; Video display terminals
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services
- Old TRIS Terms: Computer systems hardware; Public service vehicles
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00181952
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/TST-77/86 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-40081
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 14 1981 12:00AM