ALASKA OCS SOCIOECONOMIC STUDIES PROGRAM, BEAUFORT SEA REGION - MANMADE ENVIRONMENT
The Alaska Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Socioeconomic Studies Program is a multi-year research effort which attempts to predict and evaluate the effects of Alaska OCS Petroleum Development upon the physical, social, and economic environments within the state. The analysis addresses the differing effects among various geographic units: the State of Alaska as a whole, the several regions within which oil and gas development is likely to take place, and within these regions, the various communities. The report contains a description of the manmade environment of the Beaufort Sea region generally and of four of its member communities in particular. For the region, an outline of the population and economy, selected community facilities and services, and local government organization is provided, plus an indication of inter-regional and inter-community ties. Similar information is provided in detail for the traditional communities of Barrow, Kaktovik, Wainwright and Nuiqsut. For Wainwright and Nuiqsut, additional information on land use, land status, utilities and transportation facilities and services is also included.
- Prepared by Alaska Consultants, Inc., Anchorage.
Peat, Marwick, Mitchell and Company1025 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
Alaska Consultants IncorporatedAnchorage, AK United States
Bureau of Land ManagementAlaska Outer Continental Shelf Office
Anchorage, AK United States
- Schultheis, M C
- Smythe, G
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 292 p.
- TRT Terms: City planning; Communities; Continental shelf; Crude oil; Economic development; Economic impacts; Environmental impacts; Gas industry; Land use; Local government; Natural gas; Petroleum industry; Petroleum refining; Public utilities; Resource development; Social factors; Social impacts; Socioeconomic factors; Transportation; Urban development
- Uncontrolled Terms: Oil production; Transportation systems; Utilities
- Geographic Terms: Alaska; Beaufort Sea; Gulf of Alaska
- Old TRIS Terms: Continental shelves; Energy source development; Gas production
- Subject Areas: Economics; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00181758
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: TR-8 Tech. Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DI-AA550-CT6-61
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 31 1979 12:00AM