FEASIBILITY OF A NATIONAL VESSEL-TRAFFIC INFORMATION SYSTEM
The final study provides a base for determining if present fragmented methods for reporting anticipated and actual vessel movements into and out of the nation's ports can be expanded from today's port-centered systems to a nationally integrated system of vessel-movement reporting. The considerations leading toward the recommended national system are summarized and the technical alternatives that were considered are described. The expected costs and revenues of the preferred National Vessel-Traffic Information System at each stage of the recommended implementation process are provided. The report also describes the administrative and management activities to be undertaken during the establishment of the system. The recommended plan includes the formation of a national cooperative association of marine traffic reporting agencies.
- Prepared by ARINC Research Corp., Annapolis, Md. rept. no. 1331-002-2-1744.
Marine Exchange of the San Francisco Bay Region303 World Trade Center
San Francisco, CA United States 94612
ARINC Research Corporation2251 Riva Road
Annapolis, MD United States 21401
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Mitchell, M W
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Pagination: 101 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Coordination; Driver information systems; Harbors; Highway traffic control; Information systems; Management; Merchant vessels; Planning; Port traffic; Ports; Reports; Ship motion; Systems analysis; Telecommunications; Teletext systems; Water traffic; Water transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Reporting
- Old TRIS Terms: Ship movements; Telegraph systems; Teletypewriter system
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00181756
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MA-GEN-970-78052 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: MA-6-38047
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 31 1979 12:00AM