REGIONAL MANAGEMENT OF AUTOMOTIVE EMISSIONS: THE EFFECTIVENESS OF ALTERNATIVE POLICIES FOR LOS ANGELES
This study has two objectives: first, to develop procedures to evaluate policies for controlling automobile emissions; and second, to use these procedures to evaluate specific pollution control strategies for Los Angeles. The first objective is achieved by developing a relatively quick and reliable method for estimating the cost effectiveness of travel related policies. The methods used include application of a behavioral demand model for automobile travel by mode, purpose and destination, and a model which predicts the size of the auto stock and its age distribution. These models are used to compute the costs to society and individual travelers of various policies, and to compute the emission reduction effects of various policies. In applying these procedures to Los Angeles, the following specific strategies were evaluated: (1) Increased gas taxes; (2) Taxes on vehicle emissions per mile based on odometer readings and emissions tests; (3) Nonresidential parking surcharges; (4) Extensions of route miles by conventional bus; (5) Annual taxes based on vehicle model, make and year.
CHARLES RIVER ASSOCIATESCAMBRIDGE, MA United States
Environmental Protection AgencyOffice of Air, Land and Water Use, 401 M Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20460
- DUNBAR, F C
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Pagination: 301 p.
- TRT Terms: Air quality management; Automobile travel; Automobiles; Benefit cost analysis; Cost effectiveness; Exhaust gases; Fuels; Management; Mathematical models; Planning; Pollutants; Regional planning; Regional transportation; Taxation; Taxes; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Transportation policy; Transportation system management
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation management
- Old TRIS Terms: Management planning; Substitutes
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Energy; Finance; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Policy;
- Accession Number: 00181714
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA-600-5-77-014 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-01-2235
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 31 1978 12:00AM