COMMENTS OF SERVO CORPORATION WITH REGARD TO DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION HOT BOX DECTOR STANDARDS
The test train was equipped with thermocouples imbedded in the bearing and outer box surfaces. Elapsed running time, ambient temperature, bearing and box temperatures were recorded in addition to train speed. All Hot Box Detectors commercially available employ infrared techniques which scan the friction journal box housing, a portion of the frame above the journal box top surface, or a region of the wheel hub. These detection methods are adversely affected by the air steam cooling effect on the outer surface of the target. The thermal gradient and time delay factors in hot box detection on friction journal trucks are illustrated.
Servo Corporation of America111 New South Road
Hicksville, NY USA 11802
- Publication Date: 1970-12-15
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Axles; Bearings; Hot box detectors; Journal boxes; Technology; Temperature; Velocity; Wheels
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Hot boxes
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00040129
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Test Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 26 1976 12:00AM