NEXT STOP: JAMAICA
This article describes the planning, design and construction of the Jamaica AirTrain Terminal Complex, which provides an alternative means of access into and out of New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK). The Jamaica Station connects ten Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) lines, three subway lines and 40 local bus lines as well as a new fully automated light rail system called AirTrain. A transfer between the AirTrain JFK and this regional transit system allows passengers to reach JFK's airline terminal area in less than 12 minutes. One complication for the project is the fact that the Jamaica station has been designated as a historic landmark structure, which meant that preservation issues had to be considered in the design and construction process. Because the Jamaica station is also the second-busiest commuter rail station in the United States, intense interagency planning and coordination were required to minimize service disruptions during the construction process. The new Jamaica Terminal project has three major components: the construction of a building to serve as the arrival point for patrons from the subways, the street and the existing LIRR platforms; the expansion and renovation of a subway station mezzanine; and the construction of the portal enclosure that spans a new mezzanine bridge above the LIRR platform and track zone. The Jamaica Terminal project is almost complete, is within budget and within 6 months of its original schedule.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/10480594
- Page range: pp 64-71, 87.
Reston, VA United States 20191-4400
- Cracchiolo, A G
- Leone, S
- Publication Date: 2005-3
- Features: Figures; Photos;
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Airport access; Bus terminals; Case studies; Construction; Coordination; Historic preservation; Intermodal terminals; Light rail transit; Passenger terminals; Planning and design; Railroad buildings; Regional transportation; Structural design; Subway stations
- Identifier Terms: Airtrain; Long Island Rail Road
- Geographic Terms: New York Metropolitan Area
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Construction; History; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00989082
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 13 2005 12:00AM