TRANSPORTATION ASSET MANAGEMENT SYSTEM FOR ROADWAY SAFETY: IDAHO'S GUARDRAIL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM SAVES LIVES, TIME, AND MONEY
This report briefly describes Idaho's new high tech/low cost guardrail inventory system. The system includes a video logging system using state-of-the-art digital photo imaging data, which not only improves accuracy, but also significantly reduces the resources needed to main the data. By providing good information about guardrails, the "GRail" system allows managers to effectively address locations where damaged or obsolete guardrails may compromise the safety of highway travelers.
- Record URL:
Federal Highway AdministrationTurner-Fairbank Highway Research Center, 6300 Georgetown Pike
McLean, VA United States 22101
- Publication Date: 2005
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 2 p.
- TRT Terms: Asset management; Cost effectiveness; Digital video; Guardrails; Highway safety; Inventory; Maintenance management; Video imaging detectors
- Geographic Terms: Idaho
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; I85: Safety Devices used in Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00989216
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-HRT-05-055
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 14 2005 12:00AM