CONCRETE AND ROCK TESTS, REHABILITATION WORK, BRANDON ROAD DAM, ILLINOIS WATERWAY, CHICAGO DISTRICT
Drilling for field testing and laboratory testing was performed, as part of a stabilization program at the Brandon Road Dam on the Illinois Waterway. A previous stability investigation concluded that all sections of the dam failed to meet current overturning criteria. It was recommended that the dam be stabilized by installation of grouted, prestressed tendons. This report presents physical property data of concrete and foundation rock for use in a stability analysis and the design of an anchorage system involving grouted steel tendons. A down hole teleview was used to obtain orientation of natural discontinuities in the foundation rock. Pressure transducer measurements were taken in the field in order to monitor uplift pressures at the base of the dam. Laboratory testing included the determination of characterization properties (compressive strength, unit weight, tensile strength, compressional wave velocities) and engineering design properties (elastic moduli, triaxial strength including multistage loading, direct shear of intact and discontinuous rock samples, and consolidated-undrained (R) and drained (S) triaxial strength of overburden samples).
U.S. Army Waterways Experiment Station3909 Halls Ferry Road
Vicksburg, MS USA 39180-6199
- STOWE, R L
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Pagination: 112 p.
- TRT Terms: Acceptance; Anchors (Structural connectors); Civil engineering; Compressive strength; Concrete; Concrete structures; Dams; Foundations; Grout; Laboratory tests; Mass; Rivers; Rocks; Soil stabilization; Stability analysis; Strength of materials; Structural analysis; Tensile strength
- Uncontrolled Terms: Acceptability; Compressive properties; Rock mass; Stabilization; Structural properties
- Geographic Terms: Illinois
- Old TRIS Terms: Anchors structural; Foundations (Structures); Foundations structures
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00181523
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: WES-MP-C-78-4 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 31 1979 12:00AM